Recording Terminal Loss on Disposal of Assets

by Diane
(Surrey BC Canada)

Gain (Loss) On Sale of Assets

Gain (Loss) On Sale of Assets

I am preparing the final corporate tax return after receiving Certificate of Dissolution.

Most of the undepreciated assets on Schedule 8 have been disposed of for no value (given away, donated to Sally Ann, etc.) and therefore have been put under terminal loss column.

In recording the transaction in the general ledger, what account would be used to show this loss?

section divider

Hi Diane,

I won't comment on whether it was appropriate to dispose of assets at no value rather than fair market value ... or the difference between book value and tax value.

Any gain or loss on your books would go to Gain (Loss) On Sale of Assets (Other Revenue / Expense Account on the Income Statement).

You may want to read the rules pertaining to Cancelling Your GST/HST Account as well.

P.S. I would like to remind you there is a difference between information and advice. The general information provided in this post or on my site should not be construed as advice. You should not act or rely on this information without engaging professional advice specific to your situation prior to using this site content for any reason whatsoever.

Click here to post comments

Return to CCPC.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

 Keep Your  eDocuments Safe And Secure… $7 USD
Version 2 now out
Bigger and Better

Your Learning Curve!

Warm up your tea cup and check out these chats ...

Click on image above to read the chat.

Purchasing These Products Through My Links Helps To Support This Site

Click on image above for my review.

Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is not associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference