Coffee and Water For Staff

by Doris
(Kelowna, BC Canada)

Employee Water and Coffee Expenses

Employee Water and Coffee Expenses

What would be the correct way to account for coffees bought for employees on a fairly regular basis? (small corporation, construction, coffees consumed at morning meeting on site)

And for employee review meetings over lunch?

section divider


CRA classifies coffee (and water) purchases served to employees and customers as food and beverages. Therefore it is subject to the same limitations as other meals and enterntaiment expenses. There is a 50% restriction on the claiming of meals and input tax credits.

There was a technical interpretation ruling on this issued in 2004. See 2004-0057101E5.

You can also refer to CRA's IT518R - Food, Beverage and Entertainment (now archived) ...

Food and Beverages
¶ 17. The 50% limitation applies to the cost of food or beverages for human consumption including any related expenses such as taxes and tips. In addition, the cost of a restaurant gift certificate is considered to be an expense for food or beverages and is subject to this limitation.

Therefore I would book all expenses relating to staff coffee to your meals and entertainment account.

Comments for Coffee and Water For Staff

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 10, 2015
Just what I thought!
by: Doris

Thanks for your help!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask a Bookkeeping Question.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference