GST Overpayment

by Cindy
(Calgary, Alberta, Canada)

I did my GST at the year end and sent the cheque to Revenue Canada...somehow I made a mistake and ended up getting a refund. How do I put this refund back in my books?

image of fancy scroll lines

Hi Cindy,

You know what they say about mistakes ... if you aren't making any you aren't working! :0)

Normally, you just need to DR Cash in Bank and CR HST/GST Payable ... but it depends on how you recorded the filing of your report and how you booked the amount paid to CRA.

I did a short article on how GST works along with the bookkeeping entries that may interest you and be helpful.

If, after reading the information, you find you have done something else, just post back with more information.

I hope this helps. Have a great week!

Comments for GST Overpayment

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 15, 2010
Need More Help
by: Cindy

I don't seem to be winning this battle.

The amount I overpaid was uncatergorized tax which I am guessing was from when I upgraded by books.

When I Debit the bank and Credit GST payable it then tells me I owe it back to Revenue Canada.and it still shows as uncatergorized tax.

Jun 15, 2010
Uncategorized Sales Tax Amounts
by: Bookkeeping Essentials

Cindy, here are two links from QuickBooks® Support. Copy and paste them into your browser.

The first link gives you the steps you need to take to reconcile the uncategorized sales tax amounts after an upgrade. The amounts arise due to deposits or cheques posted directly to the GST account, a carry forward balance from a previous period or manually filed transactions in past periods.

The second link gives you the steps to take if the uncategorized sales tax amounts do not arise from an upgrade.

The versions after 2007 began handling sales tax differently. The uncategorized amounts are amounts the new versions don't know how to handle ... so you have to assign them to a line on the return by working your way through the steps provided in the articles.

For future reference, QuickBooks® works best if you make all entries through the proper form. I had to work my way through uncategorized amounts too ... so you are not alone in experiencing this stumbling block.

Good Luck! and please post back if you need more help. :0)

QuickBooks® is a registered trademark of Intuit Inc.

Jun 15, 2010
by: Cindy

Got it figured out. Your links were very helpful.

Thanks it is much appreciated.

Mar 01, 2016
GST refund
by: Anonymous

Hi Cindy
Can you let me know how you went about getting a refund, I also made a mistake and have overpaid but I can not find how I go about getting it refunded!
Help please, thx

Click here to add your own comments

Return to GST HST.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Warm up your tea cup and check out these chats ...

Click on image above to read the chat.

Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference