How to Enter Incorrectly Charged GST

by Steven
(Alberta, Canada)

Can I adjust the sales tax on a receipt when entering my data?

Can I adjust the sales tax on a receipt when entering my data?


I have run into a few cases where small shops or retailers have incorrectly charged GST, and I didn't notice until it was too late. These purchases were for my small business (GST registered). Here are two examples:

1. I bought some taxable items at a corner store and they were keyed in as non-taxable, so no tax showed up on the receipt. I believe if the retailer catches this mistake later, they are required to submit taxes based on the amount charged, so should I enter the receipt the same way? I.e. Amount charged with no tax was 10.00. Should I enter it as 9.52 + .48 GST?

2. I had some vehicle work done at a shop and he incorrectly calculated the GST to one tenth of what it should have been. Should I use his numbers, or adjust the tax to the appropriate portion of the total paid?

Thank you.

section divider


Take a look at CRA's requirements for a legitimate receipt here:

It is my understanding that you can only claim the GST/HST input tax credits shown on the invoice/receipt. If you feel there is a billing error, you need to go back to the retailer and sort it out.

If this is one of your regular suppliers, then asking them to adjust or correct the invoice should be no problem ... or they might explain why their billing is correct.

There are a lot of complicated rules surrounding GST/HST/PST that you may not be aware of ... especially related to food purchases. GST/HST is tax neutral to businesses who are GST/HST registrants.

Comments for How to Enter Incorrectly Charged GST

Click here to add your own comments

May 29, 2015
Thank you
by: Steven

Thanks for your advice! These receipts are old enough that there's no way to correct them, so I guess I'll enter them as they are.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask a Bookkeeping Question.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Warm up your tea cup and check out these chats ...

Click on image above to read the chat.

Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference