Partners and Wages

When to Call CRA

When to Call CRA

A partner has decided he wants deductions taken off the last monies he has already taken. He also now wants to go on payroll.

Can he do this? And would EI be deducted? He is not able to claim EI as he is a partner.

section divider

Pertnerships are not my strong suit as I don't do enough of it. When I do run into situations like this, I phone CRA ... or you could speak with the partnership's accountant.

I'm fairly certain that partners, like sole proprietors, are not employees and therefore take draws, not pay cheques.

I would think that if the partner wanted "deductions" taken off, the partner could remit CPP and income tax instalments to CRA under the partner's SIN ... you could calculate the amount for him to pay after each draw.

As the partner is exempt from EI, you would not calculate EI amounts when determining instalment amounts.

Like I said at the begininning of my response, make sure you check this with CRA or the partners' accountant.

P.S. I would like to remind you there is a difference between information and advice. The general information provided in this post or on my site should not be construed as advice. You should not act or rely on this information without engaging professional advice specific to your situation prior to using this site content for any reason whatsoever.

Click here to post comments

Return to Payroll Taxes.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Warm up your tea cup and check out these chats ...

Click on image above to read the chat.

Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference