Paying Nanny Annually

(Montreal, Quebec, Canada)

CRA Requires Monthly Or Quarterly Remittances for Nannies

CRA Requires Monthly Or Quarterly Remittances for Nannies

I am paying my nanny annually, she is a student who works part time, and the contract was that, I would pay her yearly on Dec 30th, and that this way she could payoff her tuition without having to spend her pay on unnecessary stuff.

Now my question is, I registered a Business Number in Quebec and got a Payroll deductions account too. So how do I calculate taxes for her yearly pay, and how to report the yearly pay on her T4?

section divider

The Toronto Star has an excellent article that is easy to understand on the implications of having a nanny.

"If you hire a nanny to look after your children, you are her employer. That means you are required to withhold taxes, as well as Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance premiums from her pay, and match those contributions.

Those taxes must be remitted to Canada Revenue Agency on a monthly or quarterly basis. Each year you need to prepare a T4 slip, and provide a record of employment when the relationship comes to an end."


You can calculate payroll deductions by visiting the CRA website's Payroll Deduction Online Calculator. You can find it here .... .

If you want more information of this topic, Google/Bing the keywords CRA + Nannies.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask a Bookkeeping Question.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Warm up your tea cup and check out these chats ...

Click on image above to read the chat.

Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference