Payroll and Independent Contractors

Know The Rules

Know The Rules

Can I write a cheque to someone that is not considered an employee but also does not have business or is not a contractor. He will take care of his own taxes.

The business wants to cut him a cheque because it was his referral and he did part of the job. Do I have to charge taxes?????

section divider

This is tough as it is a cross between an commission for a referral and a bit of casual labor.

It's important to know the rules surrounding:

(a) Employees vs Independent Contractors

(b) Casual Labour

If this were me, I'd cut the cheque (as an independent contractor I.E. no taxes withheld) but also go into his/her vendor profile and select the vendor as one who should receive a T4A. (If you are in the State you would be issuing a 1099MISC.)That way s/he will receive their T4A slip in February and be required to report the income on their tax return ... just in case they forgot or had no intention of doing so. Just a little push to stay honest.

Before you issue the cheque, click here to find out what information you will need to complete your T4A. I'd make a form and have the person complete it and sign it BEFORE you release the cheque. The IRS has Form 4669 for this if you are in the States.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask a Bookkeeping Question.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Warm up your tea cup and check out these chats ...

Click on image above to read the chat.

Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference