Start-Up Information

by Henry

Permits and Licenses

Permits and Licenses

I am starting a home-based bookkeeping service. Can I use a mail box service for the bookkeeping service?

Also, is there any permits or licenses required for the service, since the service's address will be a mail box if it is applicable?

section divider


Yes, you can certainly use a mail box service for your business. I believe that most permit and license appplications have a spot for the mailing address and the physical location of the business.

In B.C. there is an online service called "One Stop" that explains permits and licensing requirements for operating a business in B.C.. If you are not from B.C. check out the Canada Business Network.

Many municipalities also require that businesses (including home-based business) have a valid business license that is renewed annually ... and that it be placed in a visible location. You will need to contact your local government office to determine if this is a requirement in your area.

I am fairly certain that any permits and licensing requirements will be based on the physical location of the business.

When doing your due diligence, don't forget to speak to your insurance agent to ensure your coverage allows you to operate a business in your home. For example, my home policy requires I have separate insurance for my business.

P.S. I would like to remind you there is a difference between information and advice. The general information provided in this post or on my site should not be construed as advice. You should not act or rely on this information without engaging professional advice specific to your situation prior to using this site content for any reason whatsoever.

Click here to post comments

Return to Ask a Bookkeeping Question.


Back to top