Vacation Pay Over/Underpayment

by Darlene

Overpayment/underpayment of vacation pay to employees no longer employed

I have been looking through reports of accrued vacation pay and noticed that the previous payroll person either overpaid or underpaid vacation pay to employees that are no longer employed with the company.

Some of these entries are from 2004. How do I clear this off the books?

image of fancy scroll lines

Hi Darlene,

I would create a sub-account under "Wage and/or Salary Expense" ... or you can pick a more appropriate payroll account on your income statement based on your chart of accounts ... called "Over/Under Payment Vacation Pay". Then I would write it off to that account.

Be sure to bring the entry/entries to the accountant's attention at year-end.

P.S. I would like to remind you there is a difference between information and advice. The general information provided in this post or on my site should not be construed as advice. You should not act or rely on this information without engaging professional advice specific to your situation prior to using this site content for any reason whatsoever.

Click here to post comments

Return to Payroll Taxes.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Warm up your tea cup and check out these chats ...

Click on image above to read the chat.

Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference