Claiming Utilites

Home Office Expenses

Home Office Expenses

I use a space in a home that I share for my home based business. The utility bills are not in my name. Can I still claim a percentage on my business taxes?

section divider

Are the utility bills in your partner's or parents' name? Are the utility bills in your roommate's name? Do you pay a portion of the bill?

If you or your husband are paying the bills, then I'd say go ahead and make your claim in the appropriate section of the Schedule T2125 ... just make sure you prorate your usage properly; in accordance with CRA's criteria.

Remember your phone is NOT claimed under home office expenses.

I wouldn't claim any deductions that you didn't contributed payment for. For example, if you pay rent which includes utilities, claim your rent payment on Schedule T2125, not the utilities themselves.

P.S. I would like to remind you there is a difference between information and advice. The general information provided in this post or on my site should not be construed as advice. You should not act or rely on this information without engaging professional advice specific to your situation prior to using this site content for any reason whatsoever.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Home Business Taxes.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference