GST and Doing Business in Canada

by Fernando
(Monterrey, Mexico)


I work for a company in Mexico. We are sending material to Canada.

We sell transmission towers and we started sending flatbeds into Canada last November 2010.

We already have a GST number. I need to know what do I have to fill out to recover GST taxes.... I don't know what forms I need to fill out or what I need to do.

image of fancy scroll lines

Hi Fernando,

When you register for GST/HST, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) assigns you a reporting reporting period, then mails you forms ahead of every reporting period.

The forms should be completed and submitted by the deadline to avoid late filing penalties. Your due date or deadline is determined by the reporting period assigned to you by CRA.

The biggest mistake new GST/HST registrants make is not holding the GST/HST funds collected in trust.

You also need ot be aware of the place of supply rules in Canada. Click here for a table of the different sales tax rates across Canada.

If you still don't know where to start or what to do, pick up the phone and call CRA. They will assist you and answer any questions you may have.

P.S. I would like to remind you there is a difference between information and advice. The general information provided in this post or on my site should not be construed as advice. You should not act or rely on this information without engaging professional advice specific to your situation prior to using this site content for any reason whatsoever.

Click here to post comments

Return to GST HST.

Enjoy A Tea Break With
Me Today. Let's Chat!

Use the search feature to quickly find the
information you're looking for.

Your Learning Curve!


Join Me On Facebook

Help support this site by "liking" me! Here's where I post current information.

Listed Under Websites NOT Local Business.
This website is NOT associated with the business operating in Bonnyville AB.

A Handy Reference